Tomorrow is the start of 2016’s Hedgehog Awareness Week – the following is from the British Hedgehog Preservation Society website:
Hedgehog Awareness Week is organised by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society and takes place every year. It aims to highlight the problems hedgehogs face and how you can help them.
- Ensure there is hedgehog access in your garden – a 13cm x 13cm gap in boundary fences and walls.
- Move piles of rubbish to a new site before burning it.
- Ensure netting is kept at a safe height.
- Check compost heaps before digging the fork in.
- Stop or reduce the amount of pesticides and poisons used.
- Cover drains or deep holes.
- Ensure there is an easy route out of ponds and pools.
Orchard Park Wildlife Project will contact OPCC to see if they will ask grounds contractors to use the free stickers from BHPS on their machines to remind grounds people to look out for hedgehogs before they begin work.